I have come across this eternal question of home school mom's many times-
What do you do with a two-year-old while you home school?
Well I for one vote for child labor. Why not make them keep house, while mom teaches school?
Just think you could have hot, gooey cookies for mid-morning snack. Or...
You can have your laundry all folded before lunch. Or...
You could have your floors vacuumed spotless while you teach math.
All kidding aside! Here are some things I do with Lauren while I work with the boys:
- Lauren has her own pencil box and access to paper and coloring books. She gets those out when the boys first sit down to do school. This entertains her any where from 10-20 minutes
- I don't restrict her on how many toys she gets out or where she places them. Most days my house looks like a disaster area by lunch time, but it keeps her busy and quiet enough for the boys to concentrate.
- If she is being particularly ornery and disruptive (if you read my blog you know all about the pampered princess and her wishes) I give one of the boys a break from school and have them go play with her.
- Until recently she never watched T.V. not even for 2 minutes. But now that she is showing interest, I am stooping low and blatantly disobeying the American Academy of Pediatrics T.V. viewing guidelines for toddlers! Little Bear videos have become my best friend!
- Snack time is always a good distraction. Nothing keeps a toddler quiet like a cracker shoved into the mouth and a sippy cup full of milk.
- Finally if she gets into meltdown mode, I just simply give the boys a 10 minute break, pull my distressed baby into my lap and read a couple of her favorite story books.
How about you? If you homeschool what do you do with you little ones while you teach your older children?